View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #354
mrelwood
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I figure if someone makes one of my favorite pieces of software, the least I can do is help by reporting bugs that I find.
I hope it's okay that I just ordered a painter to write the above quote to cover my whole living room wall. Your name will of course be mentioned.

Quote:
I hope I don't sound too picky when I report bugs.
Absolutely not! That's exactly what makes it so worthwhile, as I can't escape the fact that there will always be many things I just haven't thought of. Like rearranging the DynaSplit modules with a passion.

Quote:
It surprises me that I don't see more bug reports for some of the software for which I've been reporting.
My brother kept demonstrating me some drawing issues he was having with the Reaper 6.00. He stopped once I reminded him that if he had used that time to report the issues to Cockos instead, it would probably be fixed by now! Don't know if he ever did though. He's a coder by trade btw.

I think it comes partially down to laziness, partially to the idea of a distant unreachable company, and partially to the fact that if a software developer is unable to produce good code, someone else will. And probably already has.

Take my plugins for example. I'm sure they are seen as a "nice try" from some people, but with the abundance of plugins from professional manufacturers, many may not have the ear to even consider if free plugins would get the job done. Buying awarded ones can surely at least appear safer.

My brother as an example again, has used a huge sum of money on plugins. To him it was the idea that the costly plugins would ensure that his mixes sound good, or at least get him there easier. DynaStrip was one of the rare plugins of mine that he wanted for himself as well!