View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #20
Bezmotivnik
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Here's where I got the starting point. There might be a similar site for your guitar model.

http://www.fender.com/support/strato...etup_guide.php
You can destroy a neck using this information, which is duplicated on nearly every "How to Set Up Your Axe" site I've ever seen.

Inept trussrod adjustment has ruined more instruments than any other thing I've seen.

To adjust a neck properly is somewhat complicated, but at the very least, do this:

Make 100% sure the wrench fits properly and is fully seated. Just because it came with the guitar doesn't mean it fits. The hole may also be filled with debris. I've seen them totally filled with hardened buffing compound that had to be laboriously picked out.

Slack the strings some (or totally, if needed) to reduce pressure on the the trussrod.

Slightly loosen the trussrod nut before tightening it to unstick it from the neck finish or other things that freeze it under great pressure over time. Tightening into a stuck nut strips more wrench holes and causes more damage than anything. It's easier (on you and the neck) to bust it free loosening than tightening.

To really adjust a neck properly, you have to backload the neck to completely remove all pressure on the trussrod, but this is a bit complicated and tricky. Dan (who was the first person I encountered other than myself who used this method) uses an elaborate bench jig for this. I use a simpler but less foolproof method I won't share because it's risky if you don't know what you're doing.

Last edited by Bezmotivnik; 11-12-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Bezmotivnik is offline   Reply With Quote