View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #52
smallbutmighty
Human being with feelings

To Reaper from Sonar.

I had been with Sonar since way back in the Twelve Tone days when it was purely MIDI. I stayed with them through Pro Audio, and then up to Sonar 6. By that time the program seemed completely bloated with old code. Each new version was basically a couple new third party DX effects and few new things that I really never used (anyone remember "Widgets"?) There were a lot of buggy things that went on and on through several version numbers. When they finally did get fixed, Cakewalk called it a new version number and you had to pay.

The first time I tried Reaper I was amazed. Small, spry, stable. It worked flawlessly the first time out of the "box". It sounded great, and was super easy to get started with...so much more intuitive for me than Sonar. The developers were intimately involved with the user base, and responded to requests/bugs/suggestions super fast.

I've almost completely abandoned Sonar at this point. The only reason I keep it installed is for the UltraFunk plug-ins. (Wish I had a separate license for them!)