View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
DVDdoug
Human being with feelings

Quote:
without making it stereo i guess?
A mono track doesn't have "width". It plays equally in the left & right channels, placing it in the phantom center. (Or with regular Dolby Pro Logic movie-mode it would be steered to the center speaker.)

There are various "simulated stereo" or "widening" effects but be aware that they can often cause weird "phasing" (comb filtering) when played-back on a mono system (like a phone).

I've done it "manually" using complementary EQ in the left & right channels. Note that +3dB double the power so the complement to +3dB is -infinity and there is no complement for any boost greater than +3dB. (I made an Excel chart to find the complement to -12dB or whatever the maximum of my EQ was at the time.)

If you make a stereo file with identical left & right channels and then invert one channel, it will make a "spacey" widening effect, but the bass will be canceled acoustically and it will totally cancel to silence if played-back on a mono system. ...That's just something to play with. I wouldn't do something like that on a "real project". (You'll get the same effect if you reverse the +/- connections on one speaker.)
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote