View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #18
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
"FYI, low latency buffer settings like 64 samples only apply if you are running live sound or doing live performance through the computer. Anytime you need to hear real life sounds along with the output of the computer with absolutely no lag.

If you are just recording and mixing, you're literally not monitoring real life + the computer's output and thus you're taxing the system for no reason. If you're just recording and mixing, set your block size to 512 or 1024 samples. Otherwise it will be like trying to drive in 1st gear on the freeway (for the shitty car analogy)".

What does "FYI" mean?
When I had the older focusrite, the latency setting shown in the right-hand corner was really quite high, abovewhat someone here said was the tolerable latency level. This was drastically improved with the more recent interface. I do mix (well, what I call mixing) in a higher buffer setting, but, for instance, if we try to play the keyboards in a higher setting, the delay between me pressing a key and the sound coming out of the computer or in my headphones is quite noticeable.
OK, so you are doing some live performance here and there. (Like playing through a MIDI instrument plugin with a MIDI keyboard controller.)

You need to set the latency low to where you no longer perceive any lag for live performance like that. The CPU power you have left after that is what it is. For just mixing work however, set your latency to 512 or 1024 samples to free up the CPU for mixing duties.

FYI = for your information
serr is offline   Reply With Quote