View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 03:57 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Boosting computer

Help please.

My computer often struggles to keep up with my work in Reaper, particularly when I add fxs, etc.

My "music) computer has Word 10 installed, upgraded from an earlier version. I asked the computer shop if my computer could accommodate more memory. My present memory is: in use (compressed) 2.0 GB (63.1 MB)
Committed 2.4/5.4 GB cached 2.0 GB).

The technician said "It seems that your PC is already at its maximum memory. (4GB)".

I had a fellow, who is more computer-savvy than me, have a look at the machine.

One thing I am doing wrong, he said was keeping all my projects on an external disk then opening them up in Reaper on my computer. I should save the projects on my computer (I was saving projects externally 1) in case there should be a problem with the computer, 2) to save space on my internal hard drive (I only use it for recording music in Reaper but it is already pretty full, although I don't have that many plug-ins and so on and I thought Reaper was not a big space user!). Anyhow, he suggested I ask the computer people to install a SSD drive internally on my computer, so I could use this to store my projects but open them up in Reaper on my internal C drive. He says this would speed things up considerably.

Do you agree, is this feasible, otherwise do you have any other suggestions, apart from transferring everything lock, stock and barrel to my "work" computer (in use 4.7 GB – committed 6.2/13.1 GB, and although I don't really understand this, there is also a SDD drive installed).
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote