View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #44
jcward
Human being with feelings

(Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought I'd add my experience here in case others find this thread.)

I recently compared my UMC404HD with a friend's Focusrite 2i4 on my computer (Windows 10, i7, etc) for playing layered live VSTs with low latency. The Focusrite held off clicks and pops better than the UMC404HD at equivalent settings. Being convinced by this, I traded my UMC404HD on craigslist for a 2i2. When the guy I traded setup the UMC404HD on his Mac, the Behringer website said there's no drivers needed for the unit.

Bottom line, I take this to mean: it's possible the Behringer is doing something flaky / more software-reliant, and that Focusrite is doing something more with hardware/ASIO, and/or making better use of the hardware.

Don't get me wrong, the UMC404HD had great quality sound, and tons of IO. But for live performing / lots of layered VSTs, it was just less reliable in my setup. Of course, your mileage may vary!

I also sadly found a range of performance from DAW to DAW (Ableton, Reaper, FL Studio, Cantabile), but that's a topic for another thread...
jcward is offline   Reply With Quote