View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #19
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

So I just tried the Liquorix kernel and appended limits.conf with:

james - rtprio 98
james - memlock unlimited

(Yeah I'm real original with my username on my computer.)

And then I rebooted, and tested Reaper again.

I'm not able to set any lower latency with the sound card. The CPU usage increased slightly. However Reaper remains more responsive when it's loaded down at 80%+. That's the only difference I noticed. I'm probably going to undo those changes, go back to the stock MX Linux kernel.

I was getting the same low latency as in Windows already with the stock kernel, so I wasn't expecting miracles in that regard. I'm pretty sure this card wasn't really intended to be as low latency as 1.5ms/1.5ms.

(edit) man changing this stuff is fast!

I reverted to the stock kernel and removed that stuff from limits.conf. CPU usage went down in Reaper. Responsiveness is actually about the same overall. Lesson learned for that kernel. I wonder if the more recent kernels are just better at this sort of thing. I'm a bit late to the game to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I'm REALLY hoping that REAPER will see the two cards now as one device using ALSA, which is what I see using ASIO in Windows.
I'm guessing you have two of "the same" audio device and their driver in Windows allows them to work (sync) together. I've seen that with M-Audio devices. Anyway that'd be great for anyone who wants that functionality, another win for Linux audio.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-11-2018 at 08:27 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote