View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #2429
pkev
Human being with feelings

Default Bridging the Gap - knowledge

Hi

It's probably only in the last 4/5 years I've begun to truly understand the process of mixing and recording and be able to apply it in music making and I've been playing music for 40 Years.

It has to be said that I'm more of a live sound mixing engineer / musician than recording engineer / musician.

Possibly like many other Small Studio / Bedroom recording musicians, my background is your average gigging musician, doing clubs , functions, small concerts etc using my own small PA system (HK Audio 1K rig) with Behringer UB 2442 FX Pro Desk and standard mics etc.

Bearing in mind the venues I used to play and the size of the stages, I used to think I got a good live sound, although after doing hundreds of gigs and knowing my gear and playing with the musicians etc I would have thought so.

Thing is, with these gigs, I did every one of them without a compressor, gate
graphic EQ and sometimes I didn't even use a separate Pre-amp

I would also get a half decent recording straight from the desk to my Yamaha MD4S Recorder

I still do some gigs without these processors available to me and can still get a decent sound.

In my ignorance, when I bought the desk / gear in my youth, the salesperson never told me that I would need a compressor / limiter / Gate / Graphic / Pre - amp as well!!

So many years later this is where the Gap in my knowledge appeared when it came to recording.

I now know what these processors do and I'm learning when and how to use them.

I'm still very much a `live mixing` person and would like to keep that approach when recording so I will tend to Compress / Limit / Gate on way in

I also appreciate the knowledge that is imparted on threads like this so thanks everyone

Pkev