View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #2420
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
this todays clinical perfection I disgust to the bone.

but that doesnt mean that "imperfections" are flaws. never. what we call nowadays imperfections are the character. because I heard today some old albums from T.Rex, I thought about: would someone with such a voice (Marc Bolan) get a record contract? is his singing "imperfect"? or is it him? simply him with all what is to his character.

so he wouldnt get a contract, not with all these disgusting idiotic talent shows going on, where "good singing" is interpreted as coloratur sopran.

so I dont let the term "imperfection" go, because that would imply "he/she/it cant do it right". and therefor its not a flaw when someone sings like Marc Bolan. or Donovan or Robert Plant or John Lennon or or or ...

and because we can make it nowadays all "right", we dont have to do it. lets define first what that means, to do it "right". woukld Marc Bolan or someone else get into a recall? in the days where a Justin Bieber is considered to do it "right"? no way ... so get your conclusions from that.

its not about perfection or flaws. its about the definition of what is "perfect" and what is a "flaw". and these definitions are completely fucked up. all the great blues singers sing "wrong" in nowadays terms. think about that ... the environment for music has changed, and more and more people become driven away by that chart-bullshit.
People are driven away from simpleton bs. I wouldn't call nuance an imperfection or a flaw. I'd like to suggest that the nuance that people nowadays like to call 'imperfections' or 'flaws' is nothing of the kind! There is all kinds of subtlety in music. Grace notes and scooping pitch being two very obvious examples. There has been musical notation to describe many very subtle details for a long time.

Music with a lot of expression and energy contains a lot of subtlety (just like real life). A demo from a Casio keyboard or a simple drum loop pasted to a crude grid sounds simple/childish because it lacks subtlety, not because someone wants to hear performance mistakes. This isn't to suggest something simple cannot be good. Sometimes a very mechanical simple drum machine beat has a certain charm or vibe that would be lost if it were to be more embellished. Just the suggestion that we crave to hear imperfections is WAY off base!

Last edited by serr; 11-24-2014 at 01:21 PM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote