View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #115
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Assuming you are referring to what to write in the TouchOSC editor: no. For the button that you want to trigger the action in REAPER, you would want to make it send one of the messages that I wrote above.

In case you meant what to write in the .ReaperOSC file: also, no. Because you don't want to mess up the address for the *generic* ACTION action description (i.e., it can be used for *all;* actions in REAPER) by inserting some specific action number. That's what the wildcard character "@" is for.

What do you mean with "it"? REAPER? TouchOSC?

You should of course decide yourself which button should do what on the end of the OSC control surface. And on REAPER's end, it really is irrelevant where that button (or knob, slider, whatever) is located on the other end. It's the destination of the message that matters, as that defines what happens, not the identity or location of the message sender. (Cf. MIDI: the important part is "play note 60 on channel 1", not "this message comes from the first key on the left side of the keyboard in the right corner of the room" - who cares?)

Making two buttons on your OSC control surface do two different things is as simple as making the buttons send different OSC messages (corresponding to different things in REAPER). In case of REAPER actions, each button should simply sends a different action number in an OSC message corresponding to the ACTION action description on REAPER's end. E.g. button A sends
Code:
/action 16
.. and button B sends
Code:
/action 40668
Cf. the instructions in the Default.ReaperOSC file:
Bare in mind, I know nothing.

So, on my buttons, under osc, I untick auto, and write /action 16/ in the box, and /action 40668 for the other button?

then in .reaperosc I just put

'ACTION i/action/ t/action/@'?

I'm going to try this.

EDIT: that was it... sort of. That worked fine for my '40668' action, but it didn't work for my '16' action. Can't figure out why. One is a push button and the other is toggle. But I tried the other as a push as well. So, I don't think that's it. This action would really need to be a toggle.

Then I figured that maybe I had to enter the same number of characters? so 00016? that didn't seem to do it either.

So, idk, that seems odd, I can't figure it out.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-03-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote