View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #68
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
I don't disagree that a base-12 system could be a good thing. But put it to practice and see what happens. Start simple. Write out the diatonic keys. In other words, start testing the idea of: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 T Y. You have to start somewhere. Post back with some work and get some feedback. What problems get resolved? What new problems come up? Is the tradeoff worth the change?
Let me clarify on something really quickly:
numbers designate relations and position (good for counting, sequencing, etc.). It would be a tremendous mistake to designate notes as numbers. Numbers are better suited for intervals (relations between two or more notes). The two letters T and Y are fine, but Y is a vowel (consist of exactly two diphthong: U_A_I = uai... ok in this case should be called triphtong). Y is out. Should be a consonant, plenty of them to cover the 12 notes. Vowels are 6, 7 maybe in English language?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
My initial thought: The diatonic sequences of an absolute pitch base-12 system have no immediate common sequence which ties them all together and makes them easier to think about, as a result of throwing out sharp and flat symbols.
So, seems like you are a piano player. How those make sense in a bagpipe or kalimba, or violin (fretless instruments)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
...not to mention reading chords becomes a hot mess.
C+Δ7sus2 guess means a lot. Or Esus4addb9. Seriously?

EXAMPLES - click the link

Last edited by Pashkuli; 08-16-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote