View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #37
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoman View Post
But that really makes no sense, does it. Why use Windows plugins (with all the Wine bridging hassle and instability) on Linux?

We are talking about native Linux tools here.
Well, for a moment there, we were talking about REAPER for Linux being unsuitable to use as a DAW due to no virtual instruments.

I started this thread looking for native Linux plugins, but I am currently having no problem using most of the same plugins I was using in Windows with bridging.

As for the "why use Windows plugins with all the hassle", there's not really much hassle, unless installing LinVST and running a convert process once is a big deal for you.

I want to be totally FREE of Microsoft's data mining, plus I want microcode that protects my CPU and machine against Spectre, which is never going to be available in Windows 7.

If I weren't able to do in REAPER for Linux what I was doing in REAPER for Windows, I would absolutely not use REAPER for Linux. In fact, my machine is setup for dual boot because I originally thought I would HAVE TO keep using Windows for REAPER, but now I'm re-thinking that line of logic, and even recently stole all the remaining 100GB from my Windows SSD partition to give to the Linux side of the house for more plugins.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote