View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #179
SaulT
Human being with feelings

So I listened to it first in my wife's car and now over headphones. I have to say that I'm hearing a definite improvement in the mix.... the kick and the lead guitar are both situated better in the mix, and the cymbals and bass are much more present.

While over headphones it's not an issue, in the car the vocals were getting swamped by the rhythm guitars, so there's still some work to be done overall, but it's a step in the right direction....

...What is not a step in the right direction is that when I flip the mix to mono the rhythm guitars disappear again. You didn't check your mono mix. That was the purpose of mixing mono, so you'd hear those phase issues right off the bat!

Either you're still using a stereo widener on your guitars and cymbals or you've still got some phase issues in your mix somewhere. I'm definitely hearing it with the hi-hat. I'm betting that this is the source of the "vocals buried by the guitars" effect in the car.

The downside to better clarity and cohesiveness in the mix is that the material's flaws are far more evident. There's no way around it - some of the playing is sloppy, and that takes away from some of the track's potential.

Last edited by SaulT; 09-07-2014 at 01:21 AM.
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote