View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
...I also don't think it should follow the kelvin style color temperature scale for cold/hot because its confusing in an audio context, for example, blue is a cool color to our eyes and red is hot (just like meters) which is the better creative reference, we wouldn't want that reversed just because the other technical scale is used in lighting. I fully understand the other scale, I just don't see it helpful in audio where its inverse has already been used for so long.
Fair enough. I guess this is why it would be great to have the custom selectable palette. As usual with REAPER, we could then set it up as we want.
EDIT - Just a personal thing here but I've always equated bass as 'hot' (or more usually 'warm') and treble as 'cool'. When we speak of warming up our audio (I know, very loose term there!!), that generally tends to mean less harshness in the HF (and quite often with some sort of rolloff) and more fullness in the LF.
LF generally has a lot more energy too and is thus usually hotter on the meters, especially analog VU meters.

EDIT 2 - Rethinking all this, I think we're actually saying the same thing. Red on the Kelvin scale is actually cool but it is also the lowest frequency. Blue is the hot end of the spectrum and is the highest frequency.
EDIT 3 - My brain hurts!!! - Are we saying the same thing? Or is LF cool to you and HF hot? - Sorry, not trying to be argumentative, just trying to wrap my head around our perspectives (and I actually do have a migraine coming on caused by something else).

The colour scale adjustment as it is now is quite usable with the click and slide option BTW. My suggestions are more for future updates and feature additions after, as Justin said, the core is proven to be stable and efficient (it already works well here!)

I'm used to this way of working with colour mainly through the way some of my other programs show spectrums (such as iZotope RX). Granted, this is more an intensity based colour map but given that there's almost always more energy in the low frequencies, RX tends to show LF as red and HF as blue.

Here's an example:

Last edited by Dannii; 12-28-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote