View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #6
s wave
Human being with feelings

Default I had similar problems with windows....eating CPU

Ya James Peter... I do most recording without realtime monitoring (I usually use work arounds). As a 'novice' I did find some good tricks. When I want low low latency. One is like you said 'don't let the cpu throttle down' another is separating power or using more dedicated power: I threw another PSU in the PC and for running running hard drives and other things so the there is no drop in power... Less drop in power on critical parts like Mobo etc. I turn the 2nd PSU on when I start the PC. OLDER Athlon. I think a lot of latency comes from power management - I would love to have different power supplies for all the different components plugged into different wall outlets. (mmmm power conditioner too!) Dirty Power will mess with some recordings!
Adam A7 speakers got near 5 star reviews.
Samson Q7, CAD D189 mics were recommended on gearslutz. Better clarity and articulation than sm58 some say. Less bottom end.
I am like you I am aiming for a true clean recording... You have a NEVE or knock off? nice (Seventh Circle preamps are on my wish list, a DIY build starting around $100) I recently heard Focusrite Octo pre claretts vs $20k preamp set up - would be hard to tell difference on the blind - I thought it was a toss up... or close. I am wishing for Se 2200 large diaphram condenser mic (the older one with 8db signal to noise ratio...cardiod)
Don't give up on your singing! I believe anybody can sing... at least comp em. Take about 10 crazy clips of your singing High low falsetto goofy etc and then look at them on a graphic analyzer... I use SONIC Visualizer... and see if you see any neat overtoning or other interesting things going on then hit the EQ! neve giveup lol
I just got nice recording with strat knockoff through a VOX high bred amp. Beautiful old reverb dance hall sound.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote