View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #42
Faderjockey
Human being with feelings

Not arguing at all.. Just so you know.

but I get how they are wired..
You can see the pic below of my LTD-1 which uses Mariner transformers and I think St. Ives..can't remember.

But I've put Carnhill and Sowter transformers in Chameleon Labs for people.
I get what stage they enter into the pic.. But you're making it sound like they are that big of a difference on the tone/distortion.
We all could hear the difference on those Chameleon'. I'm sure one reason they now offer them with Carnhill..
No other parts were changed.. and the thing was like another $1000. unit.

I think all my micpres have transformers at this point..all with very different colors.. Even things like the Langevin DVC vs the TG2. Both can do clean and both can do dirt.. But only one of them has 2 transformers..The DVC doesn't have a output transformer only input.. So yeah you can hit it harder with (Source) and of course driving the gain is hitting everything else past the transformer harder..But change those transformers and you are changing a big part of the sound.

Just like a Marshall amp.. you mess around with even just the output transformer and your changing the whole color...

I get keeping cost down.. But if your building the clone. Why not try to keep it to it's classic self?
Even SCA did that.. and I believe Geoff Tanner said in all his Neve years SCA has gotten the closest to doing it right if not better..Seeing the Tanner feels the components in the early Neve stuff wasn't the best of course..Given it's time period.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote