Thread: 1 bit recording
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #15
Sanskrit
Human being with feelings

I know my response is entirely informed by my emotions, and a teenie bit of experience, but here goes: I don't like SACD, I want it to go away. I have spent years putting together a PCM based studio. The thought of purchasing expensive gear (or waiting for it to get cost effective to do so) is a lifetime I don't have. I continue to watch folks go on about the need for higher and higher sample rates and what's the format of choice: freakin' mp3. I don't forsee, or see, folks clammering for 24 bit PCM discs, or CD's for that matter. SACD feels like (largely) a marketing tool designed to further the bottom line of its developers and an effort to protect the copyrighted fortunes of said developers/companies. I've got no problem protecting intellectual property, but there's got to be another way to do it without requiring or encouraging a total makeover of "the project studio." This comment is NOT meant to slag anyone's purchase decisions. Whatever works for 'ya: get your gear on! I suppose its what I said: an emotional response to the inevitable march of tech, and the loss of my Atari, eight track and beta max tapes. Damn.
Snskrt
Sanskrit is offline   Reply With Quote