View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #17
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
Yes it's definitely very convenient having the AMD GPU driver built into the kernel. The open source driver is also meant to perform much better for gaming than the proprietary pro driver. But if your using anything like Blender that uses the GPU for rendering you may need the pro driver. There is a workaround in using opencl-amd which is just the opencl part of the pro driver that works alongside the opensource driver. It works well with Blender but I can't get the free version of Davinci Resolve to work with it.

The only other thing to be careful of if you go AMD GPU is that if it's a reasonably newly released card it may not run as well with current kernel but this is usually quickly rectified when a newer kernel is released.
I don't use Blender currently (didn't that originate on the Amiga?), but I would likely need the OpenGL layer for a couple things I do run.

How is the Radeon running full field 1920x1080 video during a panoramic shot where everything on screen is moving? Is there screen tearing like I see on four different Linux/nVidia machines?

I have to use this line in xorg.conf to fix that problem.

Code:
Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote