View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Man and a House View Post
What things should be considered when attempting to create a recorded sound that will respond well to light overdrive or heavy distortion, when the instrument in play isn't actually an electric guitar? I have heard some nice results with distorted violins, cellos, etc. I am thinking of experimenting with this a bit with my classical guitar, probably just with some free ampsim (I have an amp but it sucks), and I'm wondering what things I should do/avoid. Or is this just a terrible idea?
No it's a great idea!
You have no idea how much distortion is used in mixing.

Even if you're after a more natural and/or audiophile thing with acoustic instruments. Think of it as part of the room component if that helps. When you find the perfect room to record an instrument that "lights up" just the right way, the sound you are capturing that has bounced off the walls a couple times has been distorted. You can also dial this stuff in with distortion in the box. It's a way to generate harmonics. Use an eq pre and/or post to limit the bandwidth. Maybe you only need a narrow band that saturates. You can try distorting a reverb instead too.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote