View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 03:55 AM   #1
Merkury
Human being with feelings

Default Why I quit using Reaper

I started using Reaper because I liked the idea of working without dongle (cubase user) and I tried to live with R's imperfections... but it's too painful to write music in R, sorry. There are too many mistakes in the software, too many options, I think they should restart it from scratch. Sorry if I sound rude.

Here are the things that drove me crazy about R.

- Snap settings. Seriously, there are like 30 checkboxes in this window, and good luck if you can figure out what they all mean !

-Different snap/grid settings for both Arrange view and, sometimes, for EVERY SINGLE MIDI ITEM. Weird and time consuming
to always fixing note snap values ! ONE setting for all the software please, like every other DAW !!

-Cycle recording it's unusable, bad to look at and clunky.

-Recording different takes it's counter-intuitive. The software should help the user work in an intuitive way. Why do I always have to fix non-precise take endings and cut them ?

-Right clicking.... seriously ? Why in the world ? Just to be different ?

-The PLUGINS / FXs window. Oh my god, what an endless list of stuff. They made it even longer now by adding categories . Instead of making things easier, they Complicate it with every update.

-The included Plugins, most of them they didn’t even bother to design a GUI.
The Reaper Delay plugin tells you a ‘tempo multiplier’ that you have to calculate manually…
In a 2017 software, no thanks, unacceptable.

-The CLICK sound, so annoying, yes I know I can change its frequency,still, it sounds WEIRD. Plus, by default, the HIGHEST PITCH NOTE should be the 1st Beat!

-The Menus. The infinite amount of Menus / Options / Checkboxes. Also, I want to MAKE MUSIC, I don’t want to Re-Program the software with Scripts so that it can make things
that Other DAWS made easily on a Windows 95 machine…..

ON THE OTHER HAND, Here's where Reaper EXCELS in my opinion :

-Multitrack recording (no takes, one go).
It works really well and audio is easy to cut.

-FXs ROUTING . If you can imagine it, you can route it in Reaper. That's good for creative FXs use.

-Audio warp / WAV tempo manipulation

-Probably Sound Design because you can route so many FXs / SENDS

Feel free to hate on me. I gave R a shot, but it always feels like an incomplete piece of software.
Props to the Devs for their work so far, but... to me there are better options out there. Sorry.
Merkury is offline   Reply With Quote