View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #2262
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixo View Post
Hi, I am pretty new in this thread, but I am slowly reading through it to get a better understanding of how this works. So far I have my QCon Pro and EX working quite well with CSI, using the MCU config files with only very minor tweaks required.
I am now cautiously dipping my toes in the VST waters... My first try is to create a new page that maps ReaComp and/or ReaEQ to the surfaces. This is working pretty well, but I notice that the control of some ReaComp parameters (e.g. threshold) via the faders is not very convenient: most of the action happens at the bottom end of the fader. I can imagine that other plugins also may have controls that are not linear, so would it be possible to set a curve or something for fader control? (Obviously, 'acceleration' doesn't really mean anything for faders)

I have not finished reading the thread completely, but do I understand correctly that there is already a system in place to map and unmap VST parameters to widgets in a page (e.g. my main mixing page)? So I don't have to create a separate page for VST control? Or am I talking nonsense now?
Hey Dixo, correct you can map vst parameters within your existing page but ON A SEPARATE SURFACE. I believe you said you have a bcr? There is an example above...actually two that you can use to start setting up. The first is where I quoted Mixmonkey who provided his C4 AXT file. This is where you assign basic function. Also you'll have to make sure the RST file has all the right midi addresses. C4 users are lucky that Geoff provided a full RST for those, so you'll have to modify that for yours.

Then you can setup FXT files, I have an example for a plugin, the basic syntax is there, you just need to apply to your surface and vst(s). You need on FXT file for each plug, this is what takes the longest. Its probably taken me 8-10 hours to map about 30 plugs so far. You will need to have the plug open to get the exact parameter names, but you can't test your new maps until you close and reopen Reaper. Also pay attention to the file name, and the heading within the file lines. It has to be exact.

So you should have 3 surfaces for your current page: Qcon, EX, and BCR. in each setup it will ask where FXT files are. For the Qcon and EX it doesn't matter since you likely wont use those for fx (just point to empty folders like the default). But the bcr should have it's own fxt folder for all your vst mapped files.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote