View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 02:07 AM   #775
Aries1985
Human being with feelings

Default VST3 Naming

Hello guys,
thank you for this thread! I am considering migration to Linux from Mac and this is a well of wisdom.

Westrabua, thank you for the LinVstManager. It is great!

If I might, two questions / or maybe feature requests:
- If there is only one wrapper configured (e.g. LinVst but not LinVstX), would it be possible to automatically select the wrapper upon adding a new plugin? Just a convenience nitpick.
- When adding VST3 plugins, would it be possible to convert them without adding [vst3] to plugin name? Not sure if this is related to LinVstManager or LinVst. It happened to plugins from Analog Obsession (on Patreon, free to download).

The second request is for easing the migration of projects.

In the RPP file, there is plugin name and also plugin library. It seems that when REAPER does not find the library, it searches for plugin by its name and if found, it loads it and feeds it configuration data, which is correct.

When having project from Mac and having effect there, there is path to file with .vst3 extension. When opening it on Windows, it can have .dll extension and it is still loaded.

When installed for example ValhallaRoom through wine, it seems to work fine, as it does not have the [vst3] part in name and REAPER is able to load it. However, for plugins from Analog Obsession, REAPER fails to load them, although it sees the converted plugins with [vst3] in name.

Appreciate your work and support. And many thanks to Cockos for having REAPER available for Linux as well.

Once migrated to Linux, I'll also port my two device support libraries to Linux as well.