View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 01:58 AM   #615
Alex Stone
Human being with feelings

Default Lilypond Tool

After reading the riveting series of articles StudioDave wrote for Linux Journals about Java tools for us audio chaps, i was tempted to try one of the apps.

Jedit is a Java editor that, as i understand from the article, is fairly popular with developers and programmers, but it's an editor at the end of the day, and after installing it, i can see why it gets a degree of kudos.
There are a wealth of plugins available for the editor, related to specific tasks, and one of these is "LilypondTool".
For those that are unaware, lilypond is a text based app for writing notation, and has been a stalwart of notation engraving for some time. I'm still learning the syntax for this app, and have explored more than one GUI that is built to make the process of building scores and parts in lilypond easier for the non text savvy engraver. (Denemo is a fast improving app for just such a task, to name one...)

Lilypondtool seeks to add to this tuxified harem of sumptuous offerings, as a plugin in Jedit, and is, like properly organised apps and plugin directories, easy to install.

Once installed, the main edit window presents lilypond syntax in its normal format, and from there the user can edit, add, remove, etc as desired. There's also a template wizard (among other wizards) that helps to setup a full score template (if desired), or any size or nature of ensemble.

And this is as far as i got. I got a Beanshell error when further editing the text, and for some reason i can't add pages to the score, but i qualify this with my perchance for user error, so more work is needed on my part to sort out the challenges.

In the template wizard, nearly all orchestral instruments are represented, except for the notable omission of Bass Clarinet, which didn't appear in my list at all.
I can see the potential in lilypondtool, and will persist with it for the time being. As an engraver for score and part, and given its all architecture java base, i would think it highly useful for writing parts on the fly, and in particular, provide a lightweight, non cpu munching, means of scoring for a laptop, or smaller pc with fewer HW resources.

Java has its critics, and seems to have suffered from some degree of derision over time, but it does fill an important role, and the multi architecture nature of the language is a plus. (imho)

I would hope that i can get lilypondtool running smoothly soon, and explore further the notational/engraving possibilites this app/plugin has to offer. Lilypond is a the runaway winner in the engraved appearance stakes for printed notation, so any means of utilising this must be worth pursuing.

Alex.

The linux journal article in question. My thanks to StudioDave for bringing these apps to our attention.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...e-linux-part-3

Last edited by Alex Stone; 10-02-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Alex Stone is offline   Reply With Quote