View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #2518
jamesd256
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Great work, thanks !

Can I persuade you with a kind tone to think about how to express the notation for a second.

Earlier in the thread we chose hex notation for (what we believe) is a better way to express control surface concepts.

The Midi info doesn't represent notes, velocities or anything like that, it's been hijacked to represent entirely different concepts.

For instance, 0x90 is not note on, it's very commonly used for switches.

By using hex we intentionally hide the note/velocity/channel concept and it often actually makes for much cleaner reading files:

Code:
Read  PressFB 90 4a 7f  90 4a 00
Write PressFB 90 4b 7f  90 4b 00
Trim  PressFB 90 4c 7f  90 4c 00
Touch PressFB 90 4d 7f  90 4d 00
Latch PressFB 90 4e 7f  90 4e 00
Group PressFB 90 4f 7f  90 4f 00
Once again, please don't think your work is unappreciated, but if we all use one notation things will go much easier
Useful explanation of why hex, thanks.

So, my file:

The original data 'MCU Spec' tab is as it came, i.e; with note names and note numbers. I've added the other tabs. The BCF Layout tab is mine, and I've added a vlookup to translate the note name from the MCU spec to the action mapped on the BCF, and another vlookup to obtain the hex value for the button. I added the hex vlookup to help me setting up CSI as a matter of fact.

It wasn't clearly labelled, but I've now added a couple of headings to help in the BCF tab. I have no idea how useful this is to others. I would be happy to go back over the original MCU Spec tab and vlookup the hex values there too.
jamesd256 is offline   Reply With Quote