View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #16
fred garvin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
I think real A.I. is eventually going to blindside the audio software industry. ...

...1) a plugin that will alter the *analog* musical input to stylistically match anything. Play a bassline, and you get an output that has Paul McCartney, James Jamerson or Geddy Lee fills. Lead guitar with SRV vibrato, Van Halen legato. Vocals - Sinatra, Chris Cornell phrasing, Freddy Mercury or Jeff Buckley vibrato, etc..

You have your project laid out, and on each instrument you put an A.I. style-morpher on it: what comes out is a convincing polyglot of your choices.

2) Tonal/spectral plugin that transforms any input to any output.

Any analog vocal can be made to timbraly sound like Robert Plant, k.d. lang, Aretha Franklin. Any guitar can sound exactly like any recorded example perfectly. Any mix replicating any Famous Engineer's work from Any Famous Studio.

Already here innit? Not exactly like you propose but better/worse/easier already. BIAB already can do everything but write lyrics and sing for you. There are a host of VSTs for chord progression/melody creation. Melodyne etc. will change various aspects of your vocal track including the characteristics we associate with male/female voices or sing for you if rather unconvincingly. Amp and other equipment sims everywhere, sounding real good, in your choice of software or hardware. Toontrack etc. for drop in mix and instrument solutions. And if that's all too much, just go buy a sample pack in your chosen genre and hey, you're a "music producer". And yah, next year it'll all be more and better.

Most popular acts of the last decade? I'd guess Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran. A guy and a girl with a guitar, playing songs they wrote themselves that have emotional content that people relate to. No button to push for that, don't think there will be soon if ever.

I think your ideas are actually exciting... for musicians. No one else knows the difference between for instance Lee and Jamerson or cares. But yah, good stuff, food for thought. I look forward to being able to make my vox sound like Cornell Mercury.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote