View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #10
MaXyM
Human being with feelings

After a few weeks of almost continuous work I'm proud to share updated theme.

Please note, some solutions I applied to the theme are here because of my personal challenges or attempts to prove something or just I found it just useful. I admit that some things might be questionable. I still have a hope the theme will fit needs of some of you.

Most changes are not visible on the first glance. Besides obvious fixes like missing hires assets for small transport, A lot of work was about playing with pixels, aligning elements and reorganizing assets in Photoshop files in the meantime.

The most visible changes:
1. added visual cue to MCP folders. Now it should be more obvious that tracks located on the right side of compacted folder don't belongs to it. You can see it on animated GIF below.
2. added "Folder meter" MCP layout. It's an attempt of filling a gap of often requested feature: folder which behaves like a group. (read below for more info)
3. added Return FX narrow layout
4. added envcp assets and envcp layout - remember to select this layout to get scaled sliders
5. changed colour of time selection/loop
6. changed design of sendlist getting rid of horizontal meters. Unfortunately there is vertical thin line, representing 0dB change, which probably cannot be removed because is hardcoded.
7. more visible/brighter selected MCP/TCP panels
8. changed appearance of buttons when hovering over them
9. alternative packaging

Group Folder
1. Create Folder track, children and "Folder meter" track (on the left of the folder track)
2. Let children tracks to be routed to parent (folder)
3. Create VCA group, with master being folder track, and slaves being children tracks. No need to include Mute/Solo/etc into group. Folder tracks does the job on its own
4. Route folder track to "Folder meter" track in Pre-FX mode.

I usually route all (children) tracks to some buses. But you can use folder in classic way, remembering that it MUST be routed out in "Pre-FX mode" (so no direct routing to master possible). If you want to apply some effects on such folder, apply them to Folder meter track, and then route Folder meter to output.

The case is, that Folder track uses volume slider to affect group VCA and its own volume. This way volume changes are doubled. That's why signal must be routed out of it first.

Alternative packaging
This time theme is provided in two versions:
1. unpackaged (one directory and 5 ReaperTheme files refering to this directory)
2. packaged MxM_Scalable_150 theme is provided as ReaperThemeZip, other 4 theme files are ReaperTheme ones, which refers to ReaperThemeZip. All those files are ZIPed for download convenience though

Just to remind: theme files differs in font sizes only. Scale and volume sliders have to be configured by setting two values in in rtconfig file.

Second way is more efficient, siginificantly improving theme load time.
But as you know, to change size of volume sliders, you have to edit rtconfig file.
I recomment to use TotalCommander which provides ability to edit files directly from ReaperThemeZip. Just select the file, hold CTRL+SHIFT and press Enter or click a mouse.
After editing the file, and closing the editor, TotalCommander will ask to update file in the archive. Done.
Unfortunatelty I don't know if there is similar easy way to edit content of ReaperThemeZip on Mac without unpacking the file.
Anyway, you can always download unpackaged version.

Remember, in order to apply scaled theme, you have to change layout of MCP, TCP, MASTER, ENVCP and TRANSPORT from default.

150% scale theme. Click the image for full size

Changelog
Code:
x fixed
+ added
- removed
o changed/updated

v1.1
+ MCP track number color dependend on background
+ new MCP layouts: 
  * FX return narrow
  * Folder meter - to compose a "group folder"
+ ENVCP value slider scalable - needs to select "Default scalable" layout
+ ENVCP value knob hires asset matching a theme design, also removed white background
+ TOOLBAR: added hires assets for toolbar_midi_step
+ TCP: added hires assets for
  * track_recarm_auto_norec
  * track_recarm_norec
+ track controls window buttons in hi-res
+ All buttons slighlty changing appearance while hovering over them
o redesigned sendlist items (horizontal meter removed)
o ENVCP panels re-layouted to lineup with TCP better
o MCP folder icons redesigned - now compacted folder shows that folder begins and ends on this item.
  Note, if "clickable folder icon" option is disabled, the icon doesn't change it's appearance while hovering above it.
o TCP folder icons redrawn into hires assets
o changes to arrange widow grid colours, inc. time selection
o MCP/TCP - brighten selected panels to make them more distinct
o updated meter M/S/D icons for better visibility (unfortunately those icons are not scaled by Reaper)
o TCP updated volume sliders to better fit its background
o MCP volume sliders - updated sizes, positioning to maximize background fill.
o minor changes in font sizes for small scales
- TCP removed inputlabel button from meters (except from Big Meter one) as it occluded meter too much. It still reacts on mouse showing context menu
x TCP panels fixes 
  * big meter: meter size to better fill a panel, fixed folder icons
x MCP panels fixes
  * a lot aligning/positioning issues
  * fixed sizes of gfx assets to assure better scaling and visual consistency between scales
x TRANSPORT: fixed selection box in transport
x TRANSPORT: added missing hires assets for "Small" layouts
x TCP: removed unneeded assets from "narr" subdirectory
x TCP: added missing 150% volthumbs to "altm" subdirectory
x MCP: added missing 150% volthumbs to "narr" subdirectory
x MCP volume sliders - fixed the last pixel column cut

Last edited by MaXyM; 07-15-2019 at 10:24 AM.
MaXyM is online now   Reply With Quote