View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
simpsongb
Human being with feelings

JBM

I also record almost exclusively vocals and guitar...acoustic stuff...so the cleanness is very important.....I usually start with the guitar track...use RealEQ...maybe some delay to fatten it a bit..

On the vocals I use RealEQ...mostly to roll off stuff at the very low end...and then I actually will play with boosting some frequencies to find a cleaner vocal....all pretty much by ewar....

I am going to try a different approach on my next try...I am m going to use RealEQ...and set a point at about 6-12 db up...then I will sweep the point back and forth, listening for muddiness...when I hear that, I will place a point there and cut the freq maybe 3-6 db...hopefully to remove frequencies that are producing issues with the vocal....rather than the boosting I have done in the past...

I rarely use compression, but am going to play with it also a bit...I have liked the snmoothness it can produce on the vocal when used right....

the only time I use delay is pretty much on backing vocals...but that is probably due to my inexperience....I think subtle delay can really sweeten a vocal

I will use SIR for reverb...add impulse from my collection....I use SIR on a separate track and send other tracks to it...then I adjust the amount of reverb in the send...not oin the wet dry mix on the reverb....

lastly, there is a major issue with mixing in home studios..it is the acoustic space we work in....the speakers may be very flat...active studio monitors...but the room acoustics may just be messing with our ears....check out the articles from Ethan WHiner.....not encouraging...to learn after writing a song...playing a song...mixing a song...and mastering a song...that the room sounding may be lying to our ears....oh well....

BTW...I use mastering plugs on the Master track after all the mixing is done...has really made a difference in what I am hearing....particularly ReaXcomp...I generally use RealEQ one more time...sweep around 300 Hz and 3-6 KHz for an opportunity to add 3-6 db in a couple of area...by ear of course...once that is done, I add ReaXcomp..useing griz lee presets....then I like Stereo Field by loser (JS effect)...a limiter...then psych dither.....

really liking the sound after all this...I'm sure I have no clue about what I'm doing...but it sure is fun.....