View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 PM   #62
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
You give up selecting it as the computer's USB audio interface but you will still be able to record its 32 channels - and even more.

There are two possibilities:
  1. (best option) X32 is fitted with Dante expansion card. In this case, you don't select the X32 (USB) as the computer's audio interface. Instead, you install Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) on one or more computers (mac or pc alike) and select DVS as the computer's ASIO audio interface. As stated before, DVS provides up to 64 audio networking in/outs on any given computer via its internal NIC port. This means that you can record double the amount of the usual 32 audio channels coming from a single X32. In other words: You may record all those 32 channels of one X32 plus another 32 channels of whatever else is present on the network (like another 32 Dante audio channels of a second X32 equipped with Dante expansion or any other Dante source).
  1. X32 is NOT fitted with a Dante expansion card but is connected to a computer via USB. In this case, you can install "Dante Via" on that computer. This would enable the computer to make up to 32 audio in/outs of the USB-connected X32 available on a Dante network. Dante Via can aggregate and propagate audio in/outs of connected USB and Firewire hardware interfaces into a Dante network. In this case, however, we could not speak of a real Dante network because there's no other Dante peer available on the network yet. You could add another computer running DVS to have such a peer. However, this would still not integrate the second X32 unless either it is fitted with a Dante expansion card or is connected to another computer which in turn is running Dante Via just like the first computer.

I hope I'm expressing myself clearly enough so that you can follow
You may PM me if you like.

You need a special Dante Ethernet card for this right? You cant just go over your regular ethernet and router right?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote