View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
Brokenstylus
Human being with feelings

I've only had my Macbook (1.8Ghz) for just over a year so I won't pretend to be an expert on all things Mac but I did assume that a lot of the DAW's (at least the 'main players') would support Cocoa by now. However, I did a bit of Googling and came across a post on the Apple mailing list that explains which DAW supports what and it came as quite a surprise to see how few of them support Cocoa http://lists.apple.com/archives/core.../msg00028.html (this has hopefully changed a little since last year.)

I'm running 10.5.1 at the moment but only in a hobbyist/student capacity (no external audio hardware on my Mac) so the upgrade from Tiger wasn't a problem but I realise that people running a Mac in a commercial setting would be apprehensive about upgrading.

I read a few things pre-leopard about how some third party apps would require Leopard but the articles hinted at the fact that this was about Quartz Animation more than anything.

I understand your dilemma though, to cater to the largest amount of users would require two separate versions (which carries the added problems of having to update 2 versions of the plugins, potential complaints from users who download the wrong version and wonder why it won't work etc etc...just an example!) while the easiest and most "future-proof" way would be to require 10.5 and cut out a lot of potential users

In my opinion, I'd go for the Cocoa option to keep things moving forward.
Brokenstylus is offline   Reply With Quote