View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 AM   #60
Bezmotivnik
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
bezmotivnik, thanks for the tip on the big e / slot angle. this was the first time that i've seen anyone mention this.
I don't recall anyone else addressing it either, which is pretty amazing considering how prevalent and gross the problem is.

To back up and to somewhat assuage some ruffled feathers about "in tune," my point was that however you define "in tune," no matter what you do fiddling around with the saddles and the 12th fret business, no matter how much money you spend on go-faster tuners, some (and perhaps many) individual notes on the guitar will be sharp or flat as a result of fret and nut faults, one of which I already mentioned, the business with slot ramp in the nut. There is also the problem of nut slot height that will make near-nut notes play sharp and there is the problem of fret leveling (or even wear) without subsequent recrowning moving the witness point on the fret from where it should be. These are intonation problems, and if they exist on your axe (which they almost certainly do to some extent), you can never really "intonate" it.

As to played notes initially going sharp or this being a mere searching around error by the tuner, Endino says it's very real and that he hears it and it drives him up the wall. I tend to agree. Played-note instability on some notes on some basses is atrocious and shows on an oscilloscope.

Also, to correct, I wasn't discussing open tunings, but tuning to make individual chords sound right in a recording, then dropping out, retuning to make the next chord sound right, then dropping in. I've seen acoustic guitars where this was the only way, especially with cowboy chords.

Last edited by Bezmotivnik; 11-15-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Bezmotivnik is offline   Reply With Quote