View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 03:43 AM   #10
t_muraoka
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Ableton Live seems to be designed to support loop-based music (live performance and creating).
Yes, but that doesn't mean that's how you have to use it My point was that Reaper is an excellent tool for recording, because that's what it was primarily designed for, Ableton is an excellent tool for live performance, for the same reason. The OP was looking for some way to easily trigger things via MIDI - in Abelton, you just select the thing you want to happen, then play the MIDI note you want to trigger it - doesn't get much easier than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
As I hate loop-based music I never took a deeper look at it.
Me too, but my live show is jazz, blues, pop, and yes, even a bit of EDM For example, I'll take something as simple as a plain old backing track, slice up each chorus and loop them. Using a MIDI foot controller, I can then switch between the A and B sections of a song when I feel like it, and trigger the final chorus (with the ending) when I want to finish. Works well for something like "So What", where I can switch between the A and B sections when I feel like it, but even for a simple AABA song, it's liberating to be able to finish the song when I'm ready, not when the MP3 has run out. I can also mess around with the form if I feel like it e.g. play 2 B sections in a row :shrug:

More complicated, I'll build up an entire song from samples. For example, this is about as far from EDM as you can get, and was created solely using samples. My performance sucks but you can see me triggering the various parts of the song with the foot controller. I also use it to change instruments on the WX5, and a Lexicon delay/reverb unit that has been programmed to match each instrument I use. I'm also wireless, so I'm usually bopping away in the crowd while I'm playing, although I have to rush back to the stage any time I need to do something with the foot controller Lots of fun

I've been meaning to write up a tutorial on how I set all of this up; it's half-done so maybe later this year...

Last edited by t_muraoka; 07-19-2015 at 03:52 AM.
t_muraoka is offline   Reply With Quote