View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #6545
Funkybot
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
I will absolutely take you up on that - thanks - matter of fact, right now

I always struggle with getting readers to relax.

As you know, .mst/.ost/.zon files are actually very simplistic things.

But most readers come in expecting an avalanche and that emotional jackup clouds their reasoning - self fulfilling prophecy.

How do you stop that ?

I really like @MalcolmG's capabilities approach for describing the .mst/.ost files.

Matter of fact there are a lot of licks to steal from his wiki, maybe you could peruse and recommend some you think stand out...

Any and all help with documentation more than welcomed !!
Feel free to take the discussion offline and email me at (same user name I use here) at gmail.

If the end-state process you expect users to follow is basically:

1. Install CSI
2. Setup CSI
3. Select pre-existing .mst and .zon files
4. Use Learn Mode to modify those

I think documenting that is relatively easy. Even documenting how to create .mst files in a text editor doesn't seem too challenging with enough practical examples. The question for me is really around, what does the future-state of creating .zon files look like? If the process is:

1. User creates .mst in a text editor then
2. User creates and edits .zon file in Learn Mode window

...I think documentation again wouldn't be too bad. The challenge would be documenting the creation of .zon files via a text editor. It can be done, but you'd want to use short, practical examples, that can be combined in a modular fashion. I agree that Malcom's work to date would be an excellent building off point.

I find the key with SOPs, even with fairly complicated processes, is:

1. Explain the concept in as few words as possible - assume no prior knowledge
2. Follow that with short, practical, real-world examples with step by step instructions in bullet form
3. Include screen prints to provide reference

Again, I'd be happy to volunteer time to help. Reach out!
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote