View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #2462
Creativegenius
Human being with feelings

Default Responding to no. 1 post

Well written and hilariously accurate post, thank you! In all my years of recording - mixing - and ping-ponging (the lost art of bouncing sub mixed tracks into permanent oblivion) if I learned anything it was / is the EQ, or lack thereof. Saying roll-off frequencies to a newbie is far too dismissive and probably the most totally overlooked aspect of recording, especially in home studios.

Frequency rolloff is the diminishing of one end of the spectrum or the other, and in most cases it applies to every instrument on your track. For example, the guitar track probably should have a low end fade at the bottom end of the frequency curve all the way up to 150-200mhz. This means there should be no EQ at all under 150 MHz. Some people call this a high pass filter. But essentially means that all frequencies below 150 MHz are removed from the track.

Competing low frequencies exist in almost all instruments in the recording scenario.

Professionals invariably remove these frequencies in all tracks except for the bass drum, and the bass itself.

This is basic stuff for pros but virtually unknown at the project studio level. Thereby becoming in my opinion the number one reason that project studios sound like ass.

Last edited by Creativegenius; 08-16-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Creativegenius is offline   Reply With Quote