View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #58
kindafishy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripgtr View Post
I use headphones to mix, and master, because I have to. No way I can crank up speakers at night, with a kid sleeping, etc.

I have found the biggest issue is reverb. When you get it set right on headphones, it is too much. This is the one big thing I haven't been able to do on phones and get it right.

I do have decent monitors (20/20 bas) and will check on them at lower volume when I can. Plus, burning test cds and listening in the car or on a stereo. I have gotten where I can do a pretty decent mix on cans, with the exception of verb. Plus, I like verb and have always liked a dash too much.
I see the mixing late at night argument a lot when it comes to reasons to mix with headphones, but I'm not convinced.

A prevailing opinion when it comes to mixing levels is that you shouldn't be listening at loud levels to mix, so unless your child/partner/roommate/etc is sleeping in the same room you mix in, headphones don't really solve a real problem. Maybe this is the case for you? It certainly isn't the case for everyone who makes this statement. I mean, can the television be on in the next room? If yes, then you can mix on monitors in the next room.

It does makes sense to adjust the volume the odd time here or there to check particular frequencies at different levels, but this might not be as effective to do in headphones anyway.

I mix with headphones during some stages of mixing just to concentrate and tune out everything around me, but it's usually when I'm doing pre-mix editing or just for a second or two to get a different perspective here and there. Never when making any critical balance, frequency or positioning decisions.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote