Thread: 6 or 8 INCH
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #35
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
They aren't too bad yet. No buzzing or anything, but you can visibly see that they are on the way out, and I'd hate to just let them go to total crap. I paid something like $800 for them and that was with a big employee discount. I have Ford Audio here in my town, and used to be tight with the owner Jim Ford. They can probably do a re-cone, bit I've seen these kits to DIY and wondered if it really was something that you could do yourself and not make things worse. Sounds like I was right in thinking the job was too big for me to try doing myself.
If it is just the surrounds which it probably is, the kit is important because the glues for each component... surround, spider, coil etc. are all designed to have very specific properties. Acetone and a chisel will get the basket cleaned up and just acetone will get the surround off the cone. You do need something like a manual sweep of the frequency range - such as being able to sweep it via knob as the glue is setting until no frequencies buzz - if you don't get it in time - you'll have rougly a minute or so, it will set and you have to start over.

The only other concern is the spider, check to see if it is level and not collapsed, they can wear out and lose strength over time but if it is still able to hold everything level, aka center of excursion, and the voice coil hasn't burned just the surrounds should be fine. It's not uncommon for the coil (rather the former) to bubble if the speakers have been pushed to hard but you'd likely already be hearing that. That said, being your first try, I'd probably just have someone do it.