View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #71
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

I appreciate the suggestions.

I thought the words on the more general design of many plugs were a bit harsh to be honest. I think for a lot of plugs (including mine), it's simply the fact that most of these are hobby projects. People don't get paid to do these plugins and even relatively simple looking UIs already take a lot of development time. If you think we're not aware that the UIs don't look super slick, then you're mistaken. They're written under time limitations, prioritizing functionality over looks :P

Anyways, let's see what we got here:

Quote:
- visually different arrows for master send vs fx sends, e.g. dashed line. A tree with only master/folder sends is linear and no visual line crossing is possible. With fx sends coming to play, the graph gets messy in 2D. Lines coming into and also out from send nodes should be dashed.
I added the option to customize this. Personally, I prefer them to be the same, but I've added the alpha level as an exposed parameter that you can edit in the config file. They're called sendAlpha and parentAlpha. You can open the config file with CTRL+F10 on windows (and probably on mac/linux, but I couldn't test this). If CTRL+F10 doesn't work, the config file can be found in the Hackey Machines directory. Note that you have to close HM before saving the file (otherwise the plugin will overwrite your changes when you close it).

Quote:
- highlight signal IN lines with modifier+mousehover. With a standard hover, highlight only OUT lines.
This one took some doing, but it's a great idea. You can now hold Alt to switch between viewing incoming and outgoing lines.

Quote:
- machine nodes do not need shadows. They are cluttering the ui.
The config parameter is called shadowAlpha. shadowOffset can move the location of the box (for Fox).

Quote:
- calculate if the font is white or black based on the underlaying track's color. Do not use outlines/shadows.
Options for outlines were added too. In the config file set the parameter textOutline. 0 = inverse of bg color, 1 = outlined, 2 = white or black depending on bg color.

Quote:
- option to open FX chain (is that what "Open FX list should do?". It just opens the first fx, same as alt+doubleclick)
Yes, this is a known bug. It doesn't seem to happen for all VSTs (at least for me) and I've yet to figure out how to avoid this issue.

Quote:
- hide wires does not work
Can you describe what happens?

Quote:
- mousewheel over vol or pan know should change the value instead of sooming
Added ability to control dials via mousewheel and block zooming when this is done.

Quote:
- the mute button margin on a node is not changing with zooming, it is always set to a fixed number of pixels
Added option to keep it fixed. In the config file set muteButtonSize to a value larger than zero to have a fixed mute button size. Setting zero makes it scale automatically.

Quote:
- add a solo button to a node
As Fox said, outer mouse button on mute button.

Quote:
- in night mode, node selection highlight could be light
Done.

Quote:
- do not show tracks that have *separ* in the name of the layout
I don't know what you mean by this one.

Quote:
- better sorting of nodes. This is probably an advanced request. Later I can give some more ides about functionality.
I've added some extra forces to the graph optimization. Namely forces depending on color similarity. This should improve the clustering somewhat when using track colors.

Quote:
I planned to ask about smaller margins between and also a row sorting option.
I have introduced some presorting to the rows in the latest version, which looks whether the signal is moving down or not, and prefers them to move in the same direction and not skip a block (to try and prevent having signal cables _under_ blocks). If you have a better idea / pseudo-algorithm for this, please let me know. I also reduced the margins a bit.

Full changelog:
Quote:
+ Option for shadow alpha and offset (shadowAlpha & shadowOffset).
+ Option for setting text rendering (outline or not). 0 = inverse of bg color, 1 = outlined, 2 = white or black depending on bg color.
+ Added option to control dials by mousewheel.
+ Added option to fix mute button size (muteButtonSize, 0 is autosize, >0 is fixed size).
+ Highlight with light in night mode.
+ Improved look of arrow (solid).
+ Added options to modify alpha transparency of sends/parents (sendAlpha and parentAlpha).
+ Fixed annoying issues with highlighting wires that were under blocks.
+ Added extra penalty spring force between tracks that is driven by color similarity (to improve clustering by color).
+ Added small noise term to avoid local optima when running the force simulation.
+ Improved row sorting for linear layout (attempt to avoid sending signal backwards and attempt to skip more than 1 machine vertically).
+ Option to open configuration file from script (CTRL+F10). Warning: Close the machine view before you save it, or it gets overwritten.
+ Improved visibility signal flow on night theme (green-based highlighting to maintain visibility when using programs such as f.lux).

Last edited by sai'ke; 12-15-2018 at 07:35 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote