View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #6579
Funkybot
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dberman View Post
@Funkybot, I tried most of the modes, and of course there are different mappings. At this point I'm trying to figure out a couple things. The .mst and .zon file you posted are for S1 mode, but when I press buttons in MIDI-OX, the addresses don't always match your widget definitions and actions in the zone file. For example, the button labeled F1 on the X-Touch is 90 36 7f in your widget, but MIDI-OX says it's 90 4a 7f in S1 mode. The Reaper action assigned to the F1 widget in your zone file actually triggers when I press the button labeled Solo, which doesn't match either MIDI address.

Like I said, I'm trying to understand so I can customize on my own. I copied what I thought were the relevant widgets and actions to my original files, but didn't get the same results. Is that because of the MIDI addresses?
Are you using the overlays? I can't emphasize this enough, but the buttons literally change depending on the mode!

So the button labeled F1 on the X-Touch surface stops being F1 in Studio One mode, in that mode, it's actually now the MCU "Read" button, which is why the address changes.

To further complicate things, some DAW modes further reassign actions to different widgets. The thing to understand is basically this...

1. MCU is a fixed protocol. There's a set number of buttons that are intended to relate to set actions. The button names correspond to the action (Play is Play, Read is Read, etc.). So one MCU.mst should technically work for all MCU surfaces without further modification. This assumes no user customization is needed - like how I want to reassign Zoom and make it a Shift button.

2. The X-Touch One doesn't have fixed buttons like it initially seems. Each MCU mode will literally reassign buttons. So one MCU mode may take the F1 button and either keep it F1, while a different mode may take that same physical button and turn it into the MCU Read button via the software, or a Marker Back button, etc. Most of the time, the only way to know which MCU button is currently in effect is to look at the device overlay for that particular mode. This is why your address is changing. That F1 button your seeing is really now a Read button. You'd only know by looking at the overlay.

3. For instance, none of the modes expose the MCU "Save" button. The MCU protocol has a button called "Save." It doesn't exist in the X-Touch One...ECXEPT in MCU Waveform mode. There, the MCU "Save" button has been assigned to the Write action in Waveform. Why didn't they just use the MCU "Write" button? No effing clue. Has to be a Waveform specific thing. Or someone at Behringer was on mushrooms while they were coding the buttons.

So my advice to you is this:

1. Pick Logic, S1, or Cubase mode to start (look at the overlays for the available functions and pick the one that most fits your workflow).

2. Once you do that, use the overlay for that MCU mode to determine the widget names. Note: if you bought it second hand or otherwise don't have the overlays handy, you can download them from Behringer.

3. Now, if you want to change an action, find the button name in the overlay, and edit that action in the zone. Example: let's say you pick Logic mode. You're X-Touch will be set to MCU Logic, you'll have the Logic overlay on...now let's say you want the "Group" button to work as an Undo button instead. You'll open the .zon file, find the "Group" widget, and edit the action to use Reaper's undo action instead.

Last edited by Funkybot; 02-14-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote