View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #96
airon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lundsten View Post
Sure, I do understand, and I do loads of dialogue cleaning, so know this is valuable. And yes I think it is a valuable feature to have in Reaper.

My issue is using what is available in PT as any kind of a benchmark. I believe PT is the most powerful DAW, & is certainly what one has to master as a young effective & employable professional in the UK post for Film/TV market. But I don't have to play that game any more, I'm an old pro, i have been there, done that but am very interested in new technology. If the "Emperor" has no clothes, I can say so. IMO PT does more than any other DAW but Badly.
Very true. We've been screaming for the same things for 10 years at least.

Quote:
Eg As I wrote the PT pencil tool is so VERY far from what I can achieve in Samplitude, Adobe Audition or with with Cedar plugins to be a bit of a bad joke. Conversely bad "tools" in the hands of a dedicated pro can yield way better results than great tools in the hands of a lesser mortal. But PT is a VERY bad tool & a very bad model, why put up with this?
It's pretty much the most primitive tool to use, so by all means I'd love to see something better. I'm not sure the Reaper lads will pull those off before they put something as mundane and please-god-no-decrackle-paint-today-ish as the waveform drawing tool in to the program.

For my work, a lot of the time though, it'll be a question of time of whether I can take a more laborious approach. I edit stuff from daily shows to film, though the latter not as often as I'd like. A lot of the time I've had to work quickly and no production house ever gave me the pleasure of using a Cedar Retouch rig, or any of the audiosuite plugins they make. Are they still being maintained ?

I lost touch with Audition before it was named. Cooledit 96 was my last contact with that. Samplitude drove me off at version 3 or so and I haven't checked it out again since.

Would you like to give us an innocent example or two of what these tools offer for repair functions ? I'm pretty sure the Cockos gentlemen will not be remaking anything Cedar does, so we can skip their stuff.

What do they do ? Spectral interpolation ? Selective declicking without ruining the boundaries of the selection ? I've heard of the spectral editor in Audition, but never figured I'd take the time to use another program to fix a take. Especially, since Protools is so finicky about other programs running at the same time, and I usually have to use Protools.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote