View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
DarkStar
Human being with feelings

Default TCP Parameter knobs - some suggestions

Here are a few suggested changes to the TCP Parameter knobs that will make their use much easier (IMO):

Here's the current position - the same track, at different heights, with 18 parameter knobs and a track icon (64x64 bits) displayed. I've tinted a couple to show how they move around (PS doesn't this show how useful user-tinting would be? )

-- on track 1, there are only 2 parameters visible, although there is room for 3
-- on tracks 2 and 3, the track icon has disappeared and the Next/Previous buttons have been stretched,
-- on track 4, all parameters are visible, but in 4 columns, and the track icon is back (but very small),
-- on track 5, all parameters are visible, in 3 columns, and the track icon is at its normal size,
-- on track 6, the parameter knobs have been rrearranged unnecessarily.
-- on all the tracks, the knobs are in different places depending on the track height, so I have to keep reading the labels to find the right one.

Recommendations:
a) keep the scrolling arrows a fixed size, by implementing the Power of Pink for tcp_fxparm_arrows_lr.png
b) keep the track icon (if there is one) always displayed at a reasonable size
c) once all parameters are visible, that layout (6 rows of 3 in this case) should be kept,
d) keep the parameters in the same relative positions (running across then down);
probably this is only possible for a given TCP width; for example:
Code:
// room for 3 in a row
ABC
DEF
GHI
JKL
or
// room for 4 in a row
ABCD
EFGH
IJKL
And here's a mock-up showing the results (you will see that the knobs are ALWAYS in the same place (for a given TCP width):

[originally posted as a Nitpick - but I think it's more than that - "because it's worth it"]

----------------------------------
In Issue Tracker:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=295

Last edited by DarkStar; 10-28-2014 at 04:17 AM. Reason: added the link to the Issue
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote