View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 07:41 PM   #4
sguyader
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
This is the surprising part. On a mono source, the encoding should really be the same for a given azimuth and elevation.

So here, it boils down to how the encoders deal with stereo. Slight gain differences.
Well, you made a point. The placement of the instrument was not exactly the same between both encoders, particularly in terms of elevation. I did the test againbut with the exact same placement (+/- 88° azimuth, 30° elevation) and now the difference is inaudible. I did a null test, and there's only a slight difference between them, that is not explained by the difference in gain (the full Sparta chain sounds fuller to me). But that difference in really negligible.

I still puzzled by the results from DearVR Pro: the encoder/panner is really nice and gives me a stronger sense of depth and spatial separation (the instrument sounds less in your face). However its binaural decoder really sucks (at least to my ears).

There's a lot to explore with the Sparta ambiBIN decoder. I found a source of HRIR's, and the following clip is the same drum loop, with a KU100 HRIR instead of the default one, and "phase simplification" preprocessing instead of the default "diffuse-field EQ" setting:

https://soundcloud.com/sebastien-guy...0-phasesimplif

That one sound really good to me: deep, full, spacious, "alive"
sguyader is offline   Reply With Quote