View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #128
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
It's been a long time since I setup a dual-boot on the same drive (years ago). It always seemed to work out fine at first. Then eventually I would find myself with a windows partition that wouldn't boot due to a screwed up partition table. I got tired of that happening and started using separate drives, which never gave me any problems. I don't really know why it happened when dual-booting from the same drive, but it seemed to happen every time.
While I have done a lot of reading from the Windows partition while in Linux, I have avoided doing any writing to it from Linux. I could totally see Linux writing something to the Windows partition that would make Windows get hosed.

That said, at this point if my Windows partition were to become corrupt, I would simply steal ALL the space it was using and give it to the Linux side of the house. The only thing I've needed to boot Windows for in the last three months was to see how I had things setup so I could duplicate them in Linux.

The two OSs are almost identical now in applications, tweaked functionality, and plugins for REAPER. Only a couple exist in Windows that I don't have running in Linux, and I'm caring about them less every day.

About the only other differences now are that the Linux side has updated Intel microcode that mitigates Spectre, where Windows 7 does NOT, and Windows 7 sends sooper sekret data from my machine to Microsoft a jillion times per hour, where Linux does NOT.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote