View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 06:52 AM   #374
coolbass
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post

What I see as a fundamental error in the music system is in having to count with letters. A,B,C,D.. it is not natural to count with letters: "ok, a 4th from C is.. uhh..ok got it F". Counting is done with digits. It would seem to be better to say "ok, a 7th from 8, is..15". Yes, there are all kinds of mental tricks to be used to get "F from C" in fast ways, just like there are mental math tricks to get the sum of all 1+2+3+4+...+99=?. If you know the trick, and if you practice the tricks. But why have these tricks at all. "I get F from C because the 4th is a degree higher than a 3rd which is the second note of the chord of C which is E therefore the note higher than E is F, so the answer is F," etc. That is a lot of thinking to arrive at an operation which is repeated frequently. Then add roman numerals to the mix, it's just bad. Hence the reason players say, "meh, its better to just spend time practicing the playing and forget this theory stuff, aint no time for that."
Pffff....
Again sounds arrogant to me.
And it seems clear that you get lost in music theory.

Music is a language.
Of course it is difficult.
You forget how difficult learning a new language is for most people and how long it takes to master one.
And luckily there are a lot of different languages. What a feast of worlds of possible greatness.
Any language that is developed over centuries is complicated and rich.
You don't say French is difficult, let's do away with it. Learn esperanto.
Humanity would loose a lot of its cultural richness.
coolbass is offline   Reply With Quote