View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #115
IIRs
Human being with feelings

Default network noob

Hi and thanks for a very informative thread.

I just experimented with Reamote for the first time: I used an old laptop as a slave, and once I had maxed the latency, reduced the max packet size and switched to 32 bit mode it ran fairly glitch-free... considering the slave laptop was connected wirelessly I found this result quite promising!

So, now I want to experiment with a proper setup at the studio: I have an old PIV desktop, plus the aforementioned laptop (dual core) which I would like to try slaving to my main DAW. Unfortunately I am quite ignorant regarding network setups, so hopefully you guys can give me some advice.

My studio is within a small complex comprising 4 other control rooms plus a shared live room. We already have a pair of routers providing wired and wireless internet access... what I would like to do is to create a sub-network in my own studio which would be as fast as possible, but which would also connect to the main studio network so I can still get online when needed.

I imagine that I would need a switch? Or should that be a hub? Any specific type? Any specific cables?

Ok next question: the small fx chain I off-loaded to the slave seemed to be using more cpu than it would have done if running normally on the slave machine, ie: a chain of fx that uses 3.3% cpu when running in reaper uses 13-14% when running in reamote. Would that improve if using a cable? Or by adding a network adapter?

Thanks in advance.
IIRs is offline   Reply With Quote