View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I think you will find that in context it's a non-issue. As long as your interface's drivers are honest with Reaper, it pretty much just works. Maybe I've never recorded anything that needed to be that tight and I definitely don't have a clue how they really do it behind the scenes. I have always just trusted that Reaper knows I'm hearing it late AND that it's hearing me late, and automagically somehow, when you play it back it's just like if you were tracking to tape. Sounds fine to me.

You can try a loopback test, but I'm not sure that's actually fair. Somehow it feels like there's an extra layer of something happening in there that makes it not exactly the same as how it works when overdubbing.

I am vaguely interested in learning more, but honestly it's always seemed to work fine.
Yea, I'm well versed in the bulk of that, including loopback and how some users anticipate... some use what they hear and some use what they feel in their wrist to compensate - this is specifically important with automatic delay compensation because some players create that adjustment in their playing using different methods (which can counteract that compensation) and I've seen a number of threads where this came up but no one actually realized what the difference was, so it isn't always a non-issue.

Also, the often repeated no one can tell sub 10ms latencies simply isn't true (I've supported both sides of that argument but now I know the real answer), and understanding this in general would help those people. My main personal interest ended up being the finding that I never imagined really good players, are surely in that ~1 ms range of accuracy timing wise. Another point of interest that I'll gently present, if a persons timing resolution is 2ms or above, then none of this matters because they can't consistently perform any tighter that the latency itself.

*** Something I should clear up concerning the wrist statement et al. Some players strike their note, then listen for it to come back out of the monitors as their audial queue as to where the note lives in time and readjust their playing accordingly. However, others use the flick/vibration in their wrist as they create the note, which bypasses the monitoring part of the latency, thusly the note will fall differently on the timeline based on the method used.

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-20-2017 at 11:49 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote