View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
inthepipeline
Human being with feelings

Location: Bristol, UK. Slowly sinking island next to mainland Europe

Perhaps I went (a little bit) far with my control room, though I don't think so.

I took 2 of the corners away. Now there's a 2' piece at 45 degrees made of very thick plasterboard 1-4"! Home made dampening panels adorn the walls. The panels are made from good ol' rockwool bats coated with carpet interliner and fabric. There are a series of damper/reflectors hanging from the ceiling, but most importantly I vented the room into the attic space, which also has a damped cieling and one "wall" made of rockwall and chicken wire to hold it in place. That makes the attic space open to the elements at low frequencies, so the control room below is effectively ported.

My monitors are not that big (BM5a's) and as yet I don't have any subs. The room doesn't sound overdamped and is surprisingly accurate at quite low frequencies. I'm having to move soon. I'm not looking forward to it!

I think the best way to have faith in the mixdown environment is simply to do lots of them and play the results on as many different systems of vastly varying quality in as many diverse locations as possible, of course not forgetting to try every pair of headphones, etc. as possible. So far I'm pretty happy with my results and even the more discerning clients don't gripe at my efforts much. Then if I had no gripes and was totaly happy I'm pretty sure that I would have given up with trying to improve.

Last edited by inthepipeline; 02-10-2008 at 08:30 PM.
inthepipeline is offline   Reply With Quote