View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #45
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

I guess that masking you're talking about does about the same, perhaps?

For example, in PS, you have these layer blending effects, like drop shadow, emboss, bevel, outer glow, inner glow, and for our case more important - color overlay and gradient overlay. Overlays don't apply to transparent parts of the layer, so they're perfect for our icons.

So, basically I pick a color (or gradient) to be used on an icon state i need (normal/hover/pressed), and apply it to the layer. I can always turn off the layer blending to see the raw layer. Then I can copy layer style (Photoshop knows I only used Color overlay with THAT particular settings), and paste that particular style to any number of other selected layers (Photoshop will apply those same Color overlay settings to those layers).

I can also save the blending effects as a Style preset, and use it by click of a button later on. Amazing stuff

I'd make a GIF for this, but I'd need to capture the whole 1920x1080 of my screen estate (well, at least for the better part), but it would be a really big GIF.

EDIT: to hell with it, I recorded only part of the screen, 2.3 MB GIF -> http://img713.**************/img713/7804/layerstuff.gif

Last edited by EvilDragon; 09-21-2010 at 06:36 AM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote