View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 04:04 AM   #287
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post
Not quite true. Automap generated the default map, similar to how plugin parameters are displayed in Lemur, for example:
(if it's ok, I'll post future images as link, so they won't ruin the forum layout)
http://www.delchambre.be/images/Lemu...Studio-One.png

After having the initial map, one can always remap parameters to his liking, adjust them or completely delete unneded ones, though it's better to move them to the last pages of the map, actually.

Yep. Im fully aware of it, but having the surface display names/value of the parameters even without manual work is always good thing, even if they'll be mapped not as you'd like. I think that it's easier to edit something that is already working, instead of writing it from the scratch.
For general users, at least.

Depends of what do you mean by "manual". I see it as a set of "widgets" that can be mapped to physical controls, at one side and plugin parameters/actions in Reaper from the other side.
Like Pot1<>CC8<>Widget1<>PlugCutoff, where user can change the pool Widget1-8 mapping from Pot1-8 to Encoder1-8 or Button 9-16 in the main script.
He can also change mappings for widgets in plugin maps to get Parameters in the desired order and change range/curve/toggle properties of the widgets.

I think that I understand your concept. If not, correct me, please.

I didn't get that reference, at first, but, googled Skywalker Sound.
But I don't get your example, tbt.
AHA, I think I finally get what you are driving at, thanks for your patience, I can be slow at times

You are talkin' UI.

There will be no UI in the first version so that we can cut the development time to about 1/3 as stated in the architecture post a few back.

This allows us to get something out there to the good folks a lot faster.

Now as to a discussion about the UI....

Have been thinking about this for a LONG time.

All theses endless configuration windows, your post a few back beautifully illustrates the clutter and confusion I'm trying to eliminate.

So what is the actual use case here ?

User wants to connect a widget to an action.

OK, seems simple, let's eliminate all this intermediary garbage and just do this:

User presses button on surface
Dialog pops up with list of actions
User selects action
DONE - now widget on surface is associated with Reaper action.

Under the hood the file format remains the same, it is just populated by a
(hopefully) VERY simple UI.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote