View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #17
pbattersby
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
You asked originally if note velocity values could be changed to trim values.
Actually, no I didn't but I can see why you thought I did. I asked if the line in a MIDI item could control trim instead of controlling velocity. I'm not looking to convert velocity into anything.

I can draw an automation item that controls trim underneath a MIDI item. It would be convenient if I could reconfigure the line in the MIDI item that currently adjusts velocity to instead adjust trim. That way, I could simultaneously control trim the way I can currently simultaneously control velocity in multiple MIDI items. The trim would not affect the CC values.

Quote:
There is no such thing as a trim value in the midi standard. It simply does not exist in the midi domain.
True, and it doesn't relate to my issue.

Quote:
So you are left with the other possible ways to affect loudness in the domain of midi. These are: Volume CC, Expression CC, or possibly some proprietary CC unique to your particular VSTi.
I can also draw a trim or a volume envelope. That's what I want to use in a different way than I currently can.

Quote:
I wish you luck on your quest...
Thanks but I suspect, unless a new feature is added to Reaper I'm stuck. Although, there is a less convenient way to do what I want. I can open multiple items in the MIDI editor and adjust (drag up or down) the recorded CC values (CC01 in my case) of both MIDI items at the same time. I guess that will have to do.

Last edited by pbattersby; 01-22-2018 at 08:42 PM.
pbattersby is offline   Reply With Quote