View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #79
bigjoe
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTaylorMusic View Post
- create time selection
- hit "B" (separate that bit of audio from the rest of the item)
- scroll through takes while listening (T or Shift+T)
- create time selection
- hit "B" (separate that bit of audio from the rest of the item)
- scroll through takes while listening (T or Shift+T)
...and so on until you are done
– lock the comp
lots of clicks, lots of operations, eh?

Now consider what happens if you don't keep all your takes within identical time bounds (say you want to punch only one word on take 3, or – god forbid – you want to take just the beginning of the second word from take one)... exponentially more clicks/operations and a complete mess!
Actually what i do in reaper contain both the first and the second part of the list i made for the PT workflow, not only the second, as you quoted, also you don’t have to solo a lane to listen to it, that’s very irritating.
With takes you hit T or just select a piece with a click and you’re good to go.
Creating empty lanes every time you need to record is really tedious too.
BTW, the fact that i like the take system is not a statement that is perfect.
My statement was to not take ProTools as the “state of the art”, because it isn’t.

Also i really NEVER have punch-ins with different lenghts, and if i have to punch in a specifica part i split BEFORE the actual punch in, so the previous and subsequent items don’t have empty playlist.

Now, applying an alternative to take system to take lanes should be handled in a way it’s not clunky as PT.
For example:
- implement an option to add a lane every time items overlaps (it actually exist with current behaviour in free item positioning, i don’t know if this is a thing with take lanes)...that’s one click less than PT

- quick audition of lanes through keyboard shortcuts

- make a new lane from selected items in different lanes (comp) (another several click less than PT sinceypu have to promote each bit of audio SEPARATELY in PT by selecting and promoting each piece)

Maybe it’s a better way to keep things efficient

Edit: i do a lot of vocal editings, often i change even syllabes because of better tuning or pronounce.
Never had problems with take system and it’s way quicker if you know how to handle it

Last edited by bigjoe; 08-27-2021 at 01:30 PM.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote